Saturday, March 2, 2013

How I take care of myself


  • cereal. all the time. anytime.
  • long showers
  • hot tea- ginger and lemon or Ugandan milk tea- there are healing powers in this tea
  • drives to nowhere and everywhere
  • reading
  • writing
  • good smelling lotion and oil. your skin is always deserving of some love.
  • going to new places, where I don't speak or look like anyone around me. that's how I learn.
  • good conversation with good folks
  • avoiding pretentious small talk. you hate that stuff.
  • sweet things. anything with cream cheese frosting on it.
  • cooking something from scratch. it clears my head.
  • the Cosby show. my goal in life is to be Claire Huxtable.
  • old pictures to remind you how foolish you were/are.
  • telling people how you really feel/what you really mean.
  • being assertive
  • not comparing my life to others
  • realizing the magnitude of my own life
  • being forgiving of myself
  • talking me time.
  • talking my time.
  • Corrine Bailey Rae, Esperanza Spalding
  • riding the city bus 
  • calling my tribe - the collection of friends and family that keep me in check
  • napping. anytime. anywhere
  • praying. 
  • Whitney Houston dance parties
  • Beyonce dance parties
  • dance parties
  • dancing 
  • good dialouge
  •  not to taking life to seriously/personally
D.

2 comments:

  1. Half of this sounds like a list that I would write--Corrine Bailey Rae, Esperanza Spalding, good dialogue, hot tea,etc...so comforting.I still have a problem with comparing every now and then (especially with people my age who are in similar fields of study/performance), but I've realized that everyone has a unique & individual life journey and I'm working on being less self-deprecating. I loved this post. (i'm very much a "list" person) Btw, you are here: http://haleyhere.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-latte-with-old-friend.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Haley!! Thanks for your sweet comment! Man-o-man, don't we all have trouble when it comes to comparing ourselves with one another? Just gotta remember that your story is uniquely your own and is worth being honored in its own light. Also thanks for the shout out on your blog!! Looking forward to another reunion soon!

      Delete